June 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm #91419June 27, 2013 at 11:53 pm #91729
/RetweetedJune 28, 2013 at 7:17 pm #91769
Hey Joe THANK YOU!
Cuz really, enough is enough. Its time for the Good Guys to stand up and be LOUD and proud. We can’t do it without you.July 1, 2013 at 10:19 am #91844
Hey ABW? Can you “define” REAL American men?July 1, 2013 at 7:29 pm #91890
Happy to do so Coqui!
If it wasn’t clear from my initial post, I was urging people to click on my blog post highlighting just what I meant by that: http://awakeblackwoman.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/no-country-for-real-men/
In a nutshell, a real American man:
1. Does not engage in sexist behavior against women nor does he engage in misogynistic behavior. ie street harassment, groping, name calling, abusing, sexually harassing, raping etc.
2. Understands what healthy masculinity is all about. That being a man doesn’t involve, nor is defined by, oppressing women and girls. Considers women and girls to be equal human beings to men and boys.
3. Calls out his male buddies, his contemporaries, his male friends and coworkers etc when they engage in sexist/misogynist behavior. Shutting them down, encouraging them to discontinue those behaviors and to help them view women has equal human beings instead of objects, alien, subhuman, lesser than males. If you stand by while such behaviors are happening and do or say nothing, you are part of the problem and doing nothing towards the solution.
4. Stands up vocally, and takes actual action beside women in girls in the fight to end rape culture, misogyny and violence against women and girls. And I mean doing things other than just not being a rapist. It is simply not enough to just be a good and decent guy. We need you to take action. Men Can Stop Rape. Stop them from hurting women and girls.
5. Understand that this is a man’s issue, and responsibility must be taken by men. What are you teaching your sons? What are they learning from sources outside your home? Can you steadily be there to counteract those influences? Men Can Stop Rape.
Women and girls encounter misogyny and sexism every day, from micro-aggressions, thoughtless comments, to actual physical and verbal assaults and their paychecks coming up short in comparison to their male counterparts.
Not twenty minutes ago I was viewing the justice for Trayvon feed on twitter, and saw guys referring to West’s daughters as whores, and another guy calling for a female trail participant to get raped. Can’t even chill out rooting for TM without getting slapped in the face with this ish. And yes I called them out and told them to consider how calling women whores/threatening rape did not help the cause; asking for everyone to see Trayvon’s humanity while denying it to others.
Real American men will stand up in solidarity with the women and girls of America to put and end to this rape culture we are living in, and shift the paradigm to equality, respect and safety. I’m calling them out because we cannot do it alone.
Men need to step up.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.