Project Runway Season 12 Recap: Sporting Obstacles
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve recapped ProjRun, (see the NBR team’s recaps during my absence here, here, here and here) and the first thing I come back to is Tim Gunn dressed like a FootLocker employee. There’s an obstacle course awaiting them, and the winners will get an extra hour to work. (This being a one-day challenge that’s half-wasted on an obstacle course, this is worth its seconds in gold.) The challenge–in case you couldn’t figure it out by the Heidi Klum branded New Balance athletic wear everyone is being forced to sport–is to design something for Klum’s line which is “bringing the runway to the treadmill.” Aiyiyi. Winner will be sold in select NB stores.
Note I said winners, not winner. The obstacle course is a team challenge. But the actual challenge is not. So who gets paired with whom doesn’t matter. What matters is Dom and Justin win and get to pick their fabric first (which happens right there on the field with fabrics from Heidi’s collection) and get the extra hour in the workroom. Oh and please remember from last week, Helen has the last immunity. After today there’s no more immunity, because everyone who survives today shows at NY Fashion Week.
Back at the workroom, the dress forms have been outfitted with examples from Heidi’s collection, just for reference. Tim makes sure to say not to cut them up. It’s already after 3pm and the designers only have until 11pm tonight (except Dom and Justin who have until midnight.)
Helen’s got a brain and she’s using it. She checks to see if it’s legal to pattern from the Klum pieces provided, and Tim informs her that would be smart. The others (especially Ken who is working hard to get the camera time he missed out on early in the season) get their noses out of joint because Helen has the audacity to think and ask questions. God forbid. Ken gets so verbally abusive about it that Helen actually goes to Tim and asks the producers to protect her. Tim has a sit down with him to get him to apologize for his behavior and prevent Sandro Part Two.
Let’s move on from this unnecessary drama and hit the walk-through. Tim brings Heidi along, since she is the client.
- Kate: She’s pulling inspiration from her little brother who is a motorcross racer. Heidi loves the high end jacket on the dummy.
- Helen: Heidi worries that the spandex pants and flowy top are too basic, and Helen needs to make a wow piece. She promises a jacket.
- Justin: Heidi makes Justin extra nervous, and he blushes when she talks about boobs bouncing relative to the neckline.
- Karen: She’s making a green sports bra with style lines. Heidi hates it and calls it trashy and “Martian.” It’s 7pm, and Karen has to scrap everything and start again.
- Dom: She’s got a low back to her top which Heidi likes, since it shows off muscles.
- Alexander: He’s colorblocking tights. Heidi frets over his piping.
- Jeremy: They’re so busy making fun of his sunburn they forget to talk about the clothes.
- Ken: I’m not sure what the heck he’s thinking, but Heidi looks at the sketch and says “scuba suit.” He also starts all over.
- Bradon: He noted how Heidi’s seams tip backwards to create a flattering optical illusion of thinness and is attempting to imitate it. She’s flattered.
- Alexandria: She’s apparently a marathon runner in real life. She’s doing drop crotch pants. She doesn’t want to do color. Heidi and Tim encourage her to stay different.
The models come and go. Helen’s crotch rips open when the model puts it on because it’s so tight. Karen starts going for loose wear since she’s in a hurry to get something done. She announces “Hashtag ‘I’m Going Home!’” Once everyone leaves except Justin and Dom, they discuss how on edge everyone is, and blame it on Heidi being the client. After all, the show won’t let them mention on camera that the real reason is this is the Fashion Week cut off.
Day of runway, and Ken and Karen are frantically behind. The model tries to give Karen advice, which goes over like a ton of lead bricks. Ken’s top is nowhere near complete. Helen should be thankful that she has immunity, because she admits she made an outfit that you can buy anywhere.
Let’s go to the runway.
(For the rest of anibundel’s recap, click here. To see all her Project Runway posts, including older recaps and the NYFW presentations of previously auffed contestants, click here. Speaking of Fashion Week, to see reviews of selected Ready-To-Wear, Resortwear, and Couture lines, including judge Zac Posen’s, click here.)
Latest posts by Anibundel (see all)
- [Recap] Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Recap: “The Day of the Doctor” - November 27, 2013
- Doctor Who: Now With A Kickass Soundtrack - November 19, 2013
- We Nerd Hard: Doctor Who Minisode ‘Night of the Doctor’ - November 14, 2013